THE ADVANCED GUIDE TO
YOUTUBE VIDEO SEO
Contact person: Blake Goodwin
Company name: Vidcredible
Telephone number: 818-483-0951
Email address: support (at) Vidcredible.com
Website address: www.Vidcredible.com
VIDEO SEO TIPS AND TECHNIQUES (Part 2)
So you want rank your videos on the first page of Google?
The good news is you found the right place! The bad news is it’s not going to be easy. If you’re looking for push button software (blackhat) this is NOT IT, however if your looking to create long term results that will pay off and really help your business plus create a sustainable competitive advantage then Yes this is your resource!
Your Video Marketing Strategy for Results
26. Naming your video file before uploading – Normally your video file will be called xyz project or video 1 instead of that, simply right click over your video and rename the file to “Your-desired-Keywords.mp4”.Note it’s important to do your keyword research so you have a better understanding of what your market is looking for and how to show up on your keywords in Google and Youtube.
27. Internal Links pointing to your video – So this is massive, on YouTube itself in your other videos you can place a link to the new video you are looking to rank.
This can go in your favourites, your playlists, in other channels and many other places in the Youtube community and an extremely powerful technique.
28. Respond to other Videos – This is another methodology of gaining an internal link by doing a video comment reply to another video with your video that you want to rank. Make sure it will make sense to do this and that your video correlates to the subject matter and makes sense as a reply. Personally, I like to give some kudo’s when I do this as in this example below.
29.External Links pointing to your video – This is probably the #1 thing you can do to get your video more powerful rankings. Placing your video on other sites for example Facebook, and Blogger and Blog.com to name a few, will send signals to the search engine that this video is in other places. These external links point back to your original video. It’s easy to find authority outlets too where you can place a comment and add to the conversation with a link to your Youtube video. Simply type the keyword your desiring to rank for, go down the google results looking for Blogs, Forums, other outlets and then join the conversation and include your link as a resource.
WARNING: Do Not pay for these links from a site like Fiverr.com or some software that just spams your links. Google is loaded with harvard grads, engineers, coders, and well, they’re Google so doing these types of maneuvers may get you a very short term gain though in the long run you’ll probably get blacklisted or put into the the corner for a timeout. Do it right and reap the rewards for life.
30. Number of external links pointing into the page you embed the Youtube video on. Make sure the title and description of the page your embedding your youtube video on is closely related to the same subject matter as the video. Now if this page already has what is called “Link Juice” that is, it has links pointing to it already, then this will be a very high quality page to place your video on and gives that video immediate authority.
What is the best way to climb to the top?
31. Quality of Internal Links Pointing into the page with the embedded video: Consider it like this, if you were mountain climbing and had to hang off the edge, the stronger the support hold the easier and better you will do. Internal links from high quality pages on your domain have a stronger impact than pages that do not have any recognition.
33. Using related keywords to video – When doing Video SEO one of the key elements that we’ve had success with is actual using the word “Video” in your keywords. For example Subject matter video, or How to “insert keywords” video. This certainly is a signal as to what type of content it is, plus in today’s time people are searching for Videos and typing in that word so it’s a double double impact. Another related type of keyword is your location or the location you are targeting, including this in your keywords is a definite must. If your video is related to “news” then mention that in the video title and description these are huge as Google has a News search, a local search, and a video search engine so let them know and your audience know.
“There once was a man who heard a pop… He looked all around but no one was found, So he linked and he liked and did it quite nice and soon his content was on top!”
34. Your keywords in annotations – Youtube Annotations and having your keywords within those annotations definitely drives a positive signal and helps with rankings. Note: Do not stuff your keywords and insert them in a very natural way so it looks good for the end user. You can do a step by step or list style video and put your keywords tip 1 your keywords tip 2 so on and so forth right into the video.
What Category works best?
35. 35. Youtube Category – There are so many YouTube categories to choose from so the rule of thumb is do what makes most obvious sense, then pick accordingly. That being said, once in awhile your video can actually belong to multiple categories and sometimes doesn’t really belong to any category choices you have to pick from. With the number of Video SEO Marketing campaigns we’ve done our company has uploaded into every one of these categories legitimately at one time or another for our clients. On that note if your looking for a video SEO company or service for video marketing we do offer a consultation without charge at this time. Here is the list of categories in order that we’ve had the most success with in order. No matter which one you pick always make sure it at least kind of belongs there.
- Autos & Vehicles
- News & Politics
- Travel & Events
- Howto & Style
- Pets & Animals
- People & Blogs
- Science & Technology
- Film & Animation
- Nonprofits & Activism
36. Referencing and Citing: Citing sources and authoritative references, accomplishes multiple initiatives when it comes to ranking your video in Google and on top of youtube.
The Power of Referencing and Citing
It let’s the search engines know that your content is related or connected to the content you are referencing.
So here is a Youtube SEO Tip to add to your video marketing arsenal: Find some of the most authoritative links on your “keywords” or subject matter, these can be easily found by searching Google on your keywords pick out 1 or 2 from page 1 of Google and a sentence within their content to cite, then include those links in your Youtube description.
You mean this whole time, it’s that easy?
You can do the same for Youtube videos grab the #1, #2, and #3 spots for the video results of Youtube and include a link back to them within your description. You can do the same strategy in a playlist as well and include your video in that playlist among the top videos in your subject matter. This method is powerful to say the least.
37. Numbered lists and Bullets: This blog post here is a sign that we believe in numbered lists and bullets.
- Bullets make your content organized
- People like to read lists this way
- Google loves it!
Just take a look at almost any search for best xyz, best abc, or best movies and you will see a top 10 to top 100 list on page 1 of the search engines. Google’s code reads bullets, bold, italicized so implementing those into your content is a good idea.
Fast forward to the forwarding technique…
38. Domain forwarding to video: Buy a related keyword loaded domain, one that is new or one that has some previous strength and then forward it directly into your Youtube video.
This gives you an immediate relevant link and all the “link juice” of a full domain that has your direct keywords in it.
39. Quality of your video: The backbone behind it all! In the beginning we used to create the video to get rankings and we thought it doesn’t matter what the video looks like it’s on top. Then as time progressed, our clients started asking, Can we get an awesome looking video? That is what led us to change and learn now to make incredible videos and today we have the best video editors in the industry.
Here is the thing as the internet changes as it always does, content will remain king, that one fact will never change. So, having great content will get shared, liked, linked to, tweeted, facebooked, Hi Fived, Bebo’d, reddit, and (fill in the blank). Great content as a marketer, company, blogger, or educator will make you stand out from the crowd.
You Want to Stand Out from the Crowd!
40. Thumbnail Optimization: Whoa! What does my fingernail length have to do with how to rank a video on Google? Not that kind of thumbnail! A thumbnail is a very small rectangle shaped image that appears in the Google and Youtube results. There is a way to optimize your thumbnail. Within the advanced settings when you upload your video, there is an option for specifying your own thumbnail. Simply put in your most prominent keyword as the image name (insert-your keyword.jpg) and upload that thumbnail.
41. Video Transcriptions: There is an option inside of Youtube when your upload your video to include a transcription. We’ve tested the same exact video within 2 different channels and I mean identical and the video with the transcription ranked on Google page 1 while the other was far behind.
42. Video Engagement: This is why quality of your video content is so important and will only become even more important as Youtube evolves, which it will. How much engagement your video has plays a key factor in the ranking of your video within google. What do I mean by engagement?
- How many comments are on your video.
- How long your video was viewed (also know as view rate)
- How many times your video was liked (this adds a link)
- How many times your video was shared (through youtube)
- How many times your video appears on other sites (via link)
“You have to learn the rules of the game.
And then you have to play better than anyone else.” Albert Einstein
43. Playlist Optimization: Okay this element is quite powerful and also easy to implement. First of all, never make a playlist with one video. Next when you create a playlist make the videos in that playlist related to the video you want to rank and find the big boys already ranking for those terms. Easy enough right. You can do this now even before you have your video made. Just make a playlist of all the people ranking, with views, with engagement, with likes, with traffic right in your marketplace. Then put your video amongst that playlist. Hint: You can start with your video 2nd to the bottom and then each week bump it up a little until your video is at the top of that playlist. It’s sneaky but it works, and your providing value at the same time as an interested viewer in that subject matter doesn’t have to keep searching around youtube to find the credible cool videos as you’ve done that pre-work for the viewer, thus providing value to the youtube community.
“THE MAIN THING IS TO KEEP THE MAIN THING
THE MAIN THING.” Albert Einstein
44. Subscribe Methodology:
This method plain works, find all the top channels in your niche market and then subscribe to them all. If you really want to be smart about this do it with an order and a purpose don’t just find the top 100 and click em all at once rather click 3 a day for 33 days until you get there.
This will give massive channel relevance into your niche market and connect you to the influencers in your niche market. Also I’ve noticed personally with this methodology in countless niche markets when you do this, often times the channel owner will subscribe right back to you.
45. Leveraging Share Features: Once you upload your video you can leverage the share features within youtube to give your video extra lift and video seo power. Right underneath any video you want to optimize there is a button that says “share”. Simply share it to all the sites there. Email the video to your subscriber base as well so they can comment and start engaging with your new video.
46. Your Call to Action: What is the purpose of your video? Why did you put it online? What action do you want the viewer to take? If you want them to visit a site in the description to put that it in the video, for example click the link in the description to learn more. If you want them to like the video, then tell them to like the video if they enjoyed it. Want the to Subscribe, then tell them. Want them to call… You get the point. Think with the end in mind at the beginning of what action the viewer is to take and “tell them”.
47. Press Release Your Youtube Video: Okay now we’re really pulling out the big guns. Going after extremely competitive keywords, you may want to give your video some authority links and get the virality started with a professional press release write up about your video and purpose. Now make sure to put a link back to your video and website page where the video is located. Note some press release outlets allow for embedding your video into the press release.
Blog is short for weblog…
48. Blog your video: In your blog post put a link to your video or even better embed your youtube video(s) that directly correlate to the blog content within that post.
49. Sidebar your video: On certain types of sites you have what is called a sidebar. This is a very effective strategy. You take your youtube video and place it within the sidebar of your site which enables that video to go on many pages throughout your site at once giving numerous links back to your video simultaneously. You can also embed a video playlist in your sidebar giving links to multiple videos at once. One benefit of this is when the video is done, instead of playing related videos it will play your next video inside of your playlist.
50. Youtube Channel Video Search Engine Optimization (VSEO): By now if you’ve been reading some of our blog posts and following along, you know we love to give a power tip at the end. All of these little factors add up to the whole. It’s like a puzzle and having all those pieces connected, sure it takes time, analysis, perseverance and an understanding. Now, when you put together a puzzle how do you go about it? Personally I start with the border as it gives you a framework and all the edges around and makes it much easier, plus it’s easy to identify the puzzle pieces with the straight edge. Let’s get to the meat and potatoes already! Your channel is where all your videos go, just like on your website your homepage is the most important page, so this is true also of your channel page. Now, there are key elements that you can do that will forever help you with every video you put onto youtube with your video marketing efforts. Let’s go to work.
- Your Channel Keywords
- Your Channel Description
- Your Channel Image or Poster (save the file as your main keyword then upload)
- Your Channel Logo Image (same as on Google Plus – keyword loaded image)
- Your Channel Profile about section (use related keywords)
- Your Channel Links (link to your main site on your subject matter.